This page relates to Tarian Cymru’s first appeal which has now ended. Please support Ni Yw Y Byd!
The Tarian Cymru appeal always needs people like you to take initiative and raise more money. Accomplishing a challenge is a fun way to support! Every penny you raise helps to buy PPE for health and care workers in Wales.
Here’s a guide on how to organise a challenge or stunt for Tarian Cymru and invite friends and family to sponsor you.
Pick a challenge
Pick your challenge, activity, or stunt! Ideally it would be something:
- you want to do
- you can do
- you haven’t done before
- which inspires friends and family to sponsor you
Some supporters do a challenge as a team and others choose to accomplish one individually.
Here are some examples of challenges other people are doing for Tarian Cymru:
- virtual cycle ride on an exercise bike
- head shave
- virtual group journey – walk, cycle and run
- taking photos of the community
About the need to create a fundraising page
We recommend you create a new page on GoFundMe for your fundraising.
This is your ‘home’ for fundraising, and you’ll need to direct people to the page often. It’ll be a place to present your challenge and target total, take card payments from sponsors, and share updates.
Otherwise there is the central page for Tarian Cymru, and you have the option of asking people to contribute directly there. The disadvantage is that the information there is more general. You ideally need somewhere specific to talk about your challenge and target!
Create GoFundMe page
Go ahead and create your new GoFundMe page. Follow the step-by-step instructions.
Set a target. It should be something achievable. You can always increase the target when it’s been met.
Describe the challenge you’re intending to do, and when.
Share a couple of pictures. The ‘show’ is just as important as the ‘tell’. Don’t be shy!
State clearly that all money will be used to buy PPE for health and care workers in Wales through Tarian Cymru.
Put the Tarian Cymru web address for more info.
Set the beneficiary
You should now set the beneficiary as Tarian Cymru straightaway, so that the appeal can withdraw money to buy PPE as soon as possible. You don’t have to handle the money at all. Your supporters will also see Tarian Cymru as beneficiary on your GoFundMe page.
Follow these steps:
- Go to GoFundMe, and click ‘Withdraw’
- Click ‘Set up withdrawals’
- Select ‘Someone else’ (in reply to ‘Who will withdraw the funds?’)
First name: Tarian
Last name: Cymru
- Click ‘Invite beneficiary’
- Please allow a little bit of time for Alice our treasurer to receive your request and confirm it. But you can carry on fundraising in the meantime, with no restrictions on that.
You do have 30 days to set Tarian Cymru as a beneficiary of the money. You can start fundraising in the meantime.
You will need to promote your challenge to friends, family, comrades, colleagues, ex-colleagues, ex-teachers, ex-exes, fellow team members, choristers, and others!
Choose a couple of individuals who are close to you. Ask them to contribute money straightaway – if possible. It’s much easier to promote an appeal with a little bit in the ‘hat’ already. The first pound is the biggest step… every subsequent one is easier!
Online is an effective way to reach people:
- Post on any and all social platforms like your Facebook profile, Twitter account, Instagram account, and so on. Video and photos are great ways to get attention.
- On Facebook you should consider creating an event or group for your challenge, and then inviting loads of people. Note that an event or group is best – it’s harder to reach people with a Facebook brand page.
- Share your message in WhatsApp groups.
- Email friends and family.
- Some workplaces have a message board, intranet or channel of some kind. If you don’t know how to share a message about your challenge, ask the person who manages the system if it’s possible to share it.
Remember these methods of reaching people
- Phoning people
- An item in your local village newsletter or notice board
- Newsletter of your choir, sports team, faith community
- Politely ask somebody influential or famous to share the message
It’s OK to reach the same person through different means. Some supporters will contribute after seeing the message more than once.
GoFundMe accepts popularly-used payment cards. If somebody wants to sponsor you outside of GoFundMe you should note the contribution as an ‘offline donation’ on the system to count towards your target.
Take lots of photos of the challenge. Share the photos online, while it’s in progress. If necessary, ask somebody in your household to help with this.
You can live stream your challenge through Facebook, Instagram, or another service – if you think it’s interesting enough to watch!
You can continue to raise money after completing the challenge too.
Remember to say thanks to sponsors. You can do this on the GoFundMe system.
Thank you for supporting health and care workers through Tarian Cymru! Pob lwc!
Important safety message
You are responsible for your safety and health during the challenge.
Choose something which is safe which allows you to follow the best advice on virus risk, and the law.
Don’t do anything which breaks rules on social distancing or any other laws.
Tarian Cymru is not responsible for what happens as a result of your activities.
Note that the restrictions of the lock-down can lead to good ideas, like virtual journeys.