Following the success of Tarian Cymru’s fundraising appeal, we’re launching a new appeal; Tarian Cymru: Ni Yw y Byd.
Through a variety of activites, so far, Tarian Cymru have raised over £91,000 in order to provide free PPE to health and care workers in Wales.
Coronavirus has affected us all in Wales. Tarian Cymru are also aware that coronavirus is a threat to our neighbours’ health across the world and we believe we need to respond to this threat at once.
The purpose of Ni Yw Y Byd is to raise money and support international aid to tackle Coronvirus within these communities. This month we will be raising money for the Rohingya refugees who live in refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar Bangladesh.
About 850,000 people live in the camp. Living in a refugee camp is already challenging at the best of times. Camps are overcrowded and lack proper hygiene which increases the potential for the rapid spread of the coronavirus. Already this community is struggling for clean water, food and hygiene care.
By supporting Ni Yw Y Byd we will be supporting Christian Aid and their partners who are working to help stop the spread of the virus.
Our money will support them to:
- Raise awareness of the virus and share hygiene messages to people in the camps in their local Rohingya languages. They are doing the same with the host communities through community volunteers and religious leaders and are also using posters and sharing messages using megaphones.
- Help doctors in the camps receive training so they can treat infected people and train other doctors in health facilities.
- Conduct door-to-door handwashing training sessions.
- Christian Aid expects to train 85-100 healthcare staff on infection, prevention and disease control. They’re also ensuring healthcare staff are equipped with personal protective equipment (PPE) and that handwashing stations are available at the entrances to 10 health facilities.
- In addition, they will build additional handwashing stations throughout the camps, and distribute hygiene kits (containing antiseptic liquid and soap) to 50,000 people.
Our aim is to support international aid in other countries over the next months.
(See also: What has happened to Tarian Cymru’s original appeal?)
Coronavirus affects us all. We need to respond at once to help our neighbours across the world.
Donate here: help Rohingya people in Bangladesh